Thursday, March 27, 2008

Roll away the dew

Morning routines in my apartment are pretty typical. I get up before Matt, make coffee, feed Mojo and Karma, and hop in the shower. By the time I have dried off and had a cup of coffee (thus making me much more pleasant), Matt has gotten up. I get dressed and start the process of drying my hair (it takes FOREVER) while Matt gets ready to head out. Sometimes, if I actually move my ass in the morning and get the dog out, Matt and I leave at the same time and head out to work together.

Other mornings, I am lazy and as Matt is leaving, I am only just taking out the dog. Since I don't have to be at work as early as he does, it works out and Mojo and I take a leisurely walk around the block. Rather, I take a leisurely walk and Mojo frantically "checks his messages" (Read: smells other dog pee). Today was one of those lazy mornings. I walked out with Matt and saw him off towards the bus stop as Mojo and I went on our merry little walk.

We got back to the apartment and I promised Mojo his "Good Boy treat" as I reached in my pocket for my keys. Nothing. No keys. As panic set in, I prayed for my cell phone. No cell phone. Shit. Matt was already well into downtown by that point and probably wouldn't be able to turn himself around even if I could get a hold of him. I knocked at the door hoping a neighbor might hear. Nothing. Shit. Shit.

Not knowing anyone in the neighborhood, I felt uncomfortable knocking on the door of a stranger, dog in tow, asking to use a phone. Having no other option, Mojo and I headed in the direction of the coffee shop about a block away. While I was too embarrassed to ask a neighbor for help, I had no problem peeking my head into a busy local coffee shop (holding Mojo out the door with my free hand) and loudly requesting that I use their phone as I was locked out with my dog. Some people snickered, some looked at me with pity, and some just stared blankly.

Thankfully, the man behind the counter was very friendly and allowed me to use his cell phone to call my Mother (who has a spare set of keys thank-you-God). He even let me bring Mojo in to the doorway so he didn't have to stand outside in the cold. (Remind me to go order a latte tomorrow and leave the guy a HUGE tip)

My Mother answered her phone and after some well-deserved teasing about my becoming more like her everyday, she came to help me out. While we were waiting - it began to rain. Of course it couldn't just drizzle - no - it was that nasty cold snowy rain, the likes of which can only be found in Chicago and Hell. So here we were. Locked out. Wet. Cold. Miserable.

I eventually got to work, and I can only imagine what else this day is going to vomit all over me. I have a feeling that it won't be pretty.

4 comments:

becky said...

Yuck. I'm sorry, KC - there's nothing fun about getting locked out, especially in a city that often decides to take a shit on your already bad day.

I hope your day improves, my friend.

Aunt Becky said...

Oh duude! Sucktastic.

KC said...

Thanks, friends. Can you believe it is snowing? It's almost April!

Erin said...

Let me just say I hate the weather up here. With a passion. It's now May and not even in the 70's. That's just not right.