Monday, March 17, 2008

It's not easy being green

When I was in college, I took a class that was popularly referred to as "the drug class," "fun with drugs," or "I wonder if the professor will give us drugs today." I don't remember the actual name of the class, but memory loss in this instance is ironically hilarious – so I refuse to actually look it up. In fact, I don't remember much about the class at all - not because I was on drugs (you guys are assholes) – but because it really wasn't that interesting.

Something that I do recall, however, is the theory that people take drugs because of an inherent desire to alter consciousness. The theory suggests that humans start this altered-state experimentation at a very young age. For example, children spin in circles to make themselves dizzy in an attempt to rework their known sensory realities. The dizziness sensation allows them to experience something outside their typical existence. Interesting concept.




So, similarly, when adults desire to feel that altered state, spinning around in circles just isn't enough anymore and they turn to more sophisticated, manufactured instruments of euphoria.





What is your opinion on the topic? Do you think the theory has merit?


I remember when I was a kid...I was convinced that if I jumped at just the right angle and with just enough momentum, that I could actually fly. I am serious. I recall running around in the yard jumping all over the place. Perhaps after running around like a lunatic and hurling myself upwards, I may have caused myself to get lightheaded, thus allowing me the illusion of flight. I also thoroughly enjoyed making myself dizzy.

As I write this, I found my self wondering if I seek out mind-altering experiences any differently now that I am an adult. Will spinning until I fall down allow me the same joy at 26 as it did when I was 6? If not...will I seek other avenues to adjust my senses?

Nah.

I don't know about you guys…but all this spinning around in circles has made me very thirsty. I'm gonna go get a beer...or 12.




Happy St. Patrick's Day!

5 comments:

becky said...

That's a really interesting theory. When I was a kid, and still to this day, I couldn't spin in circles or even swing too high on a swingset because I had awful motion sickness. Maybe I was just making up for lost time when I went through my "experimentation" phase in college. Thanks, KC, for giving me an excuse - I suddenly feel so validated! :)

Aunt Becky said...

I'd probably still spin in circles if I weren't afraid of losing the few braincells I have left.

Happy St. Patrick's Day, sexxy. Drink a green one on me :)

Anonymous said...

I don't think I can find anyone to spin me like that. Does Arnold still workout & take roids? Maybe he could? That's a game big girls don't play. :(

becky said...

KC where arrrrrrrrrrrrre you!

KC said...

I am back (barely mentally functioning) but back to where I can be on the 'puter and be happy! Woot woot!

*It's nice to know I am wanted **blushing**