Friday, April 4, 2008

The Friday Song - To An Old Friend

In honor of an old friend deciding to make a blogspot of her very own, I am dedicating this Friday song to Sleepy Jean over at I Like Cheese?

Sleepy J and I go way back. I met her in 1st grade when we both lived in West Chicago (Chicago 'burbs - if you couldn't figure that one out). We became fast friends and when she moved away, I was devistated. Though we didn't stay in touch (We were in 1st grade, dudes), I thought of her often and hoped she was happy.

Not long after Sleepy J moved away, my mother and I moved out of West Chicago to St. Charles (another Chicago 'burb). Some time in fifth grade, our class took a field trip to see a theater adaptation of "The Bridge to Terabithia." Before the play began, I was restless and scanning the theater for some sort of mischief when I spotted her. How was it that I was to see Sleepy J after several years - and here we were in the same town again!

We ended up going to Jr. High and High School together and becoming friends again. In Jr. High, we would sing Pearl Jam songs at the top of our lungs (She had a much better voice than I). My Mother even took the two of us up to Summerfest in Milwaukee when we were in 8th grade to see our favorite band. I had fan club tickets - because I was COOL - shut up. We sang along - we danced. We were shameless fans and desperately in love with Eddie Vedder.

Me and Sleepy Jean too cool for school rockin' the ring pops in front of a convenience store.
(How very Clerks of us)

She always had an amazing spirit. Through everything she had to deal with at home and through those years of teen angst and rebellion, she was there for anyone that needed her. She was an amazing talent and even more amazingly beautiful - she just never knew it. I always thought she had the most amazing deep soulful eyes and a wisdom beyond her years. We grew apart - I believe she moved again and I went off to college.

Turns out, while I was pursuing booze and other debauchery at good old NIU - she was off getting married and finding God. Through the time wasting black hole that is myspace, we found each other again. Though I haven't seen this girl (in person) in over 8 years (maybe more?), I still think of her as a great friend and all around amazing human being.

We share a love for the blues now and I hope that we are able to get together one day and screech out some Susan Tedeschi or Sam Cooke at the top of our lungs. Strike that - I will screech and she will sing with that pure, honest voice of hers. More than anything, I think I would just like to give her a hug.

I have been agonizing over what song to dedicate to my old friend. Do I choose something that resonates now? Something with some soul, something with some funk? No. To her, my old friend - could there be any other song to dedicate to her? Though the song is dark - I remember what this meant to her and what it meant to me. I remember friends laughing and crying together...and really, isn't that what it's all about?

5 comments:

paisana said...

Good Good, you and I could have been twins in high school. I was totally a bad ass punk from the western suburbs, too!

sleepy jean said...

You are such a sweetheart! I love it and I love that picture of us! Ha. It is very clerks.

becky said...

Dude - I saw Pearl Jam at Summerfest, TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your Clerks picture made me laugh out loud - I'm afraid to see how many I have of myself that are similar. Great song choice, by the way.... just as long as you remember that Eddie's mine! ;)

Aunt Becky said...

I'd forgotten how hott Eddie Vedder was.

becky said...

Becky - FOR SHAME.