Thursday, January 10, 2008

You gotta have faith

When I first entered the world of advertising, I landed on a desk that fed my need to work in a creative environment. The client was fantastic and I was SO happy in my position. I mean, sure, there were frustrating and stressful days (I do work in advertising, folks - this shit is crazy), but for the most part, I left for work with a smile on my face. After a period of time, I rotated to new responsibilities. It was more of a lateral move than a promotion, but the gears switched and I have since been working with a different kind of client - focused on tedius task-master type projects rather than creative strategy. I'm sure some people would thrive in my position. The daily tasks are clear and free of ambiguity - things are pretty cut and dry.

I, however, have been extremely unhappy. I went from loving my job to dreading most every day. I head to the same building as I did 6 months ago. I make the same amount of money (actually a little more), but I am miserable. I stay because I adore my co-workers, I love the company, and lets face it - I just don't want the hassle of going somewhere else. I can't lie, though, there have been days when I have left work at 7:30pm and headed to the El close to tears.

Thankfully, the days my career depression overwhelm me are few and far between. Nevertheless, every time I am having a horrible day...I see the same guy...a street musician with a beautiful voice.

I don't know his name, but I have come to the point where I know his sound before I even make it down the stairs. I have seen him on good days, but I always see him on the days where I have surrendered any hope of a positive attitude. For this, I am so thankful. He lifts my spirits and helps me put things in perspective. It's not even the songs he sings, but the way he sings them.

One of my favorite songs is Sam Cooke's "A Change is Gonna Come" - a song that carries a certain sadness, but brings a feeling of hope. My Subway Savior sings the song a bit more up-tempo, but with the same amazing soul and conviction that I love about the original. When he sings it as I wait - it touches my heart and allows me a moment of peace to reflect. It's almost as though just hearing him sing lifts the weight of my day off my shoulders. All of the noise and unpleasantries of the CTA disappear, and a sense of serenity overwhelms me when he is present.

I know there will be a day when I am feeling particularly down, and he will not be there on the subway platform, and that's ok. I may only know him as the man with the sweet voice and a guitar, but he has taken permanent residence in my memories - and when I think about the sincerety of the music he plays - I know it will make me smile.

Just because.....here is Sam Cooke...


2 comments:

Aunt Becky said...

I'm so sorry you're going through a rough time at work. It's amazing how much that crap permeates into your daily (non-work) life.

Anything I can do to make you feel better (besides swear to you that I won't sing to you!)?

KC said...

meh. I just hope that I can get promoted soon. Money has a way of making you like your job more.