Sunday, March 2, 2008

Rant in the name of dog

It has been a beautiful day in Chicago - probably around 50-something degrees (It has been a horrible winter so 50 feels like 80 right now). Like every other Chicagoan, I grabbed the dog and took the opportunity to go outside today - sans gloves, scarf and hat - to get some fresh air. As it was the first nice day we have had in months, I dressed Mojo in a cute (yet badass) skull and crossbones scarf. After all, special weather begs for sassy style.

We walked about a half mile up to the nearest dog park, where I was hoping to see at least a few small dogs. No such luck. I spotted a Pitbull mix, a Lab, a bulldog and a couple other larger mix breeds. I decided to be cautiously optimistic, hoping that the other dogs would be gentile. Mojo plays very well with big dogs, but in the absence of dogs his size, he will usually keep to himself. Besides, I thought, why would someone bring their dog to be off-leash in a public area if their dog is aggressive? I have always had good luck at dog parks, and did not expect today to be an exception.

We entered the park and I let Mojo off his leash. The Pit approached quickly, getting a running start to jump up at my chest - splattering the entire front of my jacket, pants, shirt and hair with mud. I yelled at the dog to "Get Down!" but the dog had other ideas. It jumped up at me again - and then went after Mojo - knocking him down and rolling him over...in the mud. Meanwhile, the Pit's owners sat chatting, either oblivious or perhaps unwilling to accept responsibility for their dog's behavior.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't wearing my Sunday best or anything. In fact, I fully expect to get a few paw prints on my clothes at the dog park. It happens. I'm cool with it. It does, however, piss me off that the owners didn't even try to get their dog to play nice. Nor did they apologize for the result of their negligence. Fucktards.

Not to be defeated, I shoved the dog away and led Mojo over to a quiet area where he could sniff around by himself. Meanwhile, the Pit picked a fight with the Lab. When the Lab's owner could no longer control the aggression against his dog, he left the park and the Pit set it's sights on Mojo. Again. I ended up having to carry my muddy dog out of the park as the Pit jumped up at me - desperate to catch a taste of my little pup. The Pit's owner lit a cigarette.

The situation pissed me off for two reasons;

1. These type of dog owners are the reason Pits get a bad rep. Pits can be amazing dogs, when owners take the time to be owners. These are the same type of people that raise asshole children - the kind that run screaming through restaurants and grocery stores. It's just too bad that children are not held to the same legal standard as dogs - quarantined or put to sleep for biting and other undesirable behavior. I kid, I kid.

2. My little dog should be able to play in public dog parks without worry of decapitation. Sure, little dogs can be assholes too, but if a maltese bites my pug, Mojo can shake it off and live to pee another day. Now if it's a German Shephard that decides to play a little rough - that owner is going to feel pretty bad when Fido maims or kills someone else's furry friend.

So what is the solution? Personally, I think that public dog parks should be sectioned off into a main run and a smaller section for little dogs (under 35 lbs). It would be like the kiddie pool at a park district. The little dogs could still hang in the main area, but there would be a safer option for the little guys to excersize and play. As far as I know, there is nothing like this in the City of Chicago. Evanston has Pooch Park (which sounds like heaven), I would even be willing to pay the fee, but the drive leaves something to be desired.

Days like this make me wish I had the $ to make my ideas come to life. I would even pay a per day entry fee for a clean place for my dog to run and play with other dogs his size. Whose to say that others wouldn't feel the same?

*And yes, I realize that this is the second post in a row about my dog. As much as I don't wanna be that guy (or girl) ...I totally am. Just to prove it - here is another picture of my dog making his sexy face at Grandma's house. You like it. Don't lie.


6 comments:

becky said...

lol what a cutie! I totally agree about asshole owners giving Pits a bad name. I was just at a party this weekend where there was the absolute sweetest Pit I've ever encountered - a rescued one... one of the most lovable dogs in existence, I'd be willing to bet. Later in the night, another guy brought his Pit and completely neglected him - he was jumping on people, fighting the other Pit, chasing the smaller dogs... all while the owner got drunk and hit on women who definitely weren't interested in him. What's wrong with people?! Personally, I think your comparison to wayward kids is dead on... and if the punishment fits the crime... ;)

Have you tried Oak Park? I thought I remember hearing once that OP has a small dog walk or something... but I very well could have made that up. Then again, that could be a drive for you, too.

KC said...

Oak Park may not be too bad - I just wish there was something close.

Sigh.

Aunt Becky said...

It sounds like the same people who take their ill-behaved kids (usually with mullets) to the park and assume that I will watch them for them.

I don't want to watch mullet-headed kids, dude.

I'll punch the owners for you. Totally.

becky said...

lol i feel so bad for those mullet-headed kids. Their parents are really limiting their futures, I think. Like naming their kids Jeeves. Doesn't leave much room for anything else.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about bad dog owners. I lived in Milaukee by the lake, and alot of people would have their dogs off-leash, which was against the law. But the worst thing is, they would let the dog get out of their sight. My female dog did not play well with others, so she was kept close on a leash. Others just assumed because their dog was nice, so were mine. One winter I fell back into a snow bank trying to hold onto 2 big German Shepherds, while a huge Lab went after my dogs. I was screaming to the people to get their dog, but they were behind a snow bank!

KC said...

b1g1f - I can't stand people who let their dogs off leash in areas where it is not allowed. What happened to responsibility?